Southern Navigators (SN) welcomes new members of all ages, from complete beginners through to experienced orienteers. The club is affiliated to British Orienteering, the sport’s national governing body, and you join the club via British Orienteering (see below for details).
How to Join
Go to Membership page of British Orienteering website where you will be prompted to select your chosen club (SN) and regional Association (either SCOA or SEOA because SN straddles both regions). You will be asked to make a single payment to British Orienteering: Club SN’s share of this fee is forwarded to us automatically. The amount will be the sum of the BO fee for each individual plus the SN fee per the table below. You do not need to make a separate payment to SN. You will receive confirmation of your membership from BO and a printable “membership card” by email if you joined on-line, or otherwise by post. Having joined, you will receive annual reminders from BO in the autumn for the following calendar year.
|Senior (born in
1992 or earlier)
|Junior (born in
1993 or later
|Family e.g. 2 adults
& 2 juniors
|British Orienteering||£5.00||£2.00||£5 per adult + £2 per junior|
If you are joining as a Family, the membership fee will be the SN family fee £20 (up to 2 adults & any number of juniors at same address) plus the sum of the British Orienteering fees for each member of your family. Example. For a family of 2 adults and 2 children the price will be: - BOF fee: 2 x £5 plus 2 x £2 = £14 plus SN fee: £20 Grand Total = £34 If any of this is unclear please contact the Membership Secretary .
As a member you will receive:-
• Four copies of the British Orienteering magazine, Focus, which includes the junior magazine Ozone
• The option to sign up for a range of e-newsletters
• Eligibility to compete in the British Championships, JK, national, regional and local events
• Opportunity to qualify to represent your country at international competitions
• The option to compete in a Rankings scheme.
• Access to a ‘Navigational Challenge’ and ‘Racing Challenge’ Incentive Scheme
• Discounts from national companies through the member discounts scheme
• Access to a members only section of the website
• Public Liability Insurance when participating in events and activities registered with British Orienteering
• Papers and vote at the British Orienteering AGM
All members of SN also get the following benefits:
• FREE weekly summer evening orienteering events/training
• FREE monthly winter evening orienteering events
• Reduced entry fees at SN events with further discounts or FREE runs for helpers.
• Subsidised entry fees (free for juniors) in official SN teams at major relay & club team competitions.
• SN KIT – yellow, purple & green (available from Membership Sec).
• Snaggers, our ‘award-winning’ magazine, 6 times a year.
• Social events, including the annual Christmas Dinner & prize-giving.
• Access to coaching & advice from other club members.
• ‘Routegadget’ available via SN website (link from Results page).
SN Local Membership Available for the following people:-
• People who are already British Orienteering members via another club.
• Groups of young people (eg. Scouts) who wish to be eligible to participate in SN club events only.
• Purely social members who wish to be involved in the sport but do not participate.
If you require SN Local Membership, please contact the Membership Secretary for further information and payment instructions.
You don't need to be a club member to ‘try out’ orienteering. All local events, and some regional and national events, offer entry on the day (EOD) courses suitable for novices. Look for the enquiries/information point at the event and someone there will be only too willing to help you.