Southern Navigators (SN) welcomes new members of all ages, from complete beginners through to experienced orienteers. The club is affiliated to British Orienteering, the sport’s national governing body, and you join the club via British Orienteering (see below for details).
Membership consists of three levels: club, regional association, and national governing body British Orienteering. SN is on the boundary of two regional associations: South Central (SCOA) which includes Hampshire and Berkshire, and South East (SEOA) which includes Surrey.
Club membership includes:
- SNaggers, the award-winning club magazine with 6 issues per annum
- Discounted entry fees at SN events
- Further reduced or free entries for helpers at SN events
- Free evening orienteering activities (weekly in summer, twice a month urban in winter)
- Subsidised entry fees in SN teams at major relay and club team competitions
- Eligibility for club championship, handicap championship, & club league
- Opportunity to purchase club kit
- Social events, including the annual Xmas dinner and prize-giving
- For juniors, eligibility to join the club junior squad and training sessions
Regional membership includes:
- Eligibility for regional championships (Individual in SCOA; Individual, Middle, Sprint and Night in SEOA), and Southern area Individual and Night Championships
- Opportunity to score for the club in regional league events
- For juniors, eligibility for selection to regional junior squad and training.
British Orienteering membership includes:
- Discounted entry to other clubs' events (typically by £2 for seniors)
- Discounts from national companies through the member discount scheme (click here for a full list of discounts available)
- The option to sign up for a range of e-newsletters
- Eligibility to compete in British Championships
- Eligibility to compete in the United Kingdom Orienteering League
- Eligibility to apply for awards under the British Orienteering Badge Scheme
- Access to the ‘Navigational Challenge’ and ‘Racing Challenge’ Incentive Schemes
- Opportunity to qualify to represent your country at international competitions
- For seniors, participation in the national rankings scheme
- Public Liability Insurance when participating in events and activities registered with British Orienteering
- Access to training for coaches and officials
- Papers and vote at the British Orienteering AGM
- Access to a members-only section of the British Orienteering website
How much does membership cost?
Membership is by calendar year, and the table below shows the rates for 2021, and 2022. (If you join in November or December you pay the fees for the following year, and get 14 or 13 months membership). Senior membership is for those aged 21 or older on 31 December of the membership year. Junior membership is for those aged 20 or younger on 31 December of the membership year.
|British Orienteering||£5||£15||Appropriate senior & junior fees|
|£17 plus national fees|
(For club members of British Orienteering, the club pays a per-capita affiliation fee on behalf of members to either SCOA or SEOA as appropriate)
This link takes you to the British Orienteering website to complete the online form. The club will be pre-filled; you can choose the appropriate regional association (probably the region in which you are most likely to orienteer) and add your personal details.